Going Green with Sustainability in Eau Claire
From Nano-science research to large multi-national firms, Eau Claire is ahead of the curve when attracting those who want dynamic employment in a place that embodies sustainability.
Here are just a few of our green community highlights:
- Country Home magazine ranked Eau Claire the 15th Greenest City in U.S. in 2007.
- Bolstering local economy and agro-tourism with new Downtown Farmer's Market.
- Creating high amenity parks for community pride/synergy such as Phoenix Park.
- Promoting urban vitality, Smart Growth and Traditional Neighborhood zoning Phoenix Park Neighborhood and Waterford Eau Claire.
- Downtown Eau Claire, Inc. hosts Our City Spring Clean Up event each year. Volunteers sweep the sidewalks clean from winter debris, rake along the riverbeds, paint benches and garbage receptacles, and plant flowers. Non-profit organizations also benefit by volunteers helping them with projects on that day.
The City of Eau Claire also recognizes its role in being a driver of change.
Here are a few sustainability highlights:
- In May 2009, the City of Eau Claire became an "Eco-municipality" by formally adopting The Natural Step (TNS) as an approach to sustainability.
- In 2010, the Eau Claire Chamber of Commerce launched a Green Sustainable Initiative for Chamber member businesses to be identified, by the Chamber, as a Green Business.
- In July 2012, the City became a signatory member of the State's Green Tier Legacy Communities Program. This program recognizes municipalities that are achieving superior environmental performance.
- The City is a Tree City USA and has been for the past 32 years.
- The City is also an "Energy Independent Community" aspiring to achieve 25% renewable energy by the year 2025. We are currently over 18% in meeting this clean energy goal.
Click here to learn more about the City of Eau Claire's green initiatives.