Industries in Eau Claire
Eau Claire is a bustling regional center for retail, education, recreation, medicine and research. In short the city of Eau Claire is a great place to start or advance your career or your business. It is known for its growing competitive edge in the information technology industry, as well as for its quality higher education system. Eau Claire is also home to four industrial parks, making it very attractive to newcomers.Learn More About Industrial Parks
Located in the heart of the I-94 Corridor Technology Zone, Eau Claire is home to many hi-tech, international corporations.
- Hutchinson Technology Inc. Among the largest of these firms, employing over 1,000 employees
- Open-Silicon A semiconductor design and manufacturing company that offers customers flexible solutions
- NanoRite Center focuses on micro-machining and nanotechnology. With cooperation between the Technical College, two Universities, private and public sectors, this facility allows access to resources for both starting and well-established entrepreneurs.
- Phillips Medisize Corporation (Phillips Plastics) is a leading area employer and an innovative designer and developer of plastic and metal injection molding. It provides a wide range of career opportunities for the recent college grad or mid-career professional.
- PDM Bridge is also an important part of Eau Claire's manufacturing industry. It constructs important bridges all over the country and is known as an industry leader in the fabrication of complex bridge structures.
- Menards, Inc is another Eau Claire success story. Founded by Eau Claire resident John Menard, the company currently operates 262 home improvement stores in 13 Midwestern states. It is based in Eau Claire and is the area's largest employer, with over 4,500 people on its payroll.
- Target Corporation and Wal-mart are also major retailers in Eau Claire, each employing between 250 and 500 employees.
As a regional center, Eau Claire offers the best medical care in West Central Wisconsin. Those seeking professional help can choose from a wide variety of hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, chiropractors, alternative medicine practitioners, massage therapists, dentists, and other health care professionals. There are four major medical providers located within Eau Claire, three of which account for over 1000 employees each. These facilities provide the area with state-of-the-art, quality health care.
Mayo Clinic Health System - Formerly Luther Midelfort Hospital, Mayo offers a full range of quality medical services including cardiac and orthopedic surgery, cancer and trauma care programs, and newly designed birthing center. A network of providers in west-central Wisconsin provides access to experts close to home.
Sacred Heart Hospital - Contains specialty centers such as the Center for Cancer Research and Prevention, Specialized Neuroscience Center, Renal Dialysis Center, and Advanced Center for Surgery.
Marshfield Clinic - With over 50 locations in northern, western, and central Wisconsin, their mission is to serve patients through accessible, high quality health care, research and education.
OakLeaf Medical Network - An Institute run by over 175 independent health care providers who provide personalized care throughout western Wisconsin. The OakLeaf Surgical Hospital, a part of this network and located in Eau Claire, is a privately owned hospital offering high quality elective surgical facilities.
Employers in Eau Claire
All local employers have their own unique success stories about their experiences in Eau Claire. New companies are attracted to Eau Claire for many reasons. The area is widely accepted as the regional hub for business activity, and a cheaper alternative location to the Twin Cities urban center. With its strong manufacturing base, its up-and-coming hi-tech industries, prominent medical facilities, and its nationally acclaimed educational institutions, Eau Claire is constantly growing and expanding.
For those who relocated, success has been a common factor. For example, Hutchinson Technology was looking at several different locations when it needed to expand. In the end, Eau Claire was a perfect fit. Since coming to Eau Claire, the company has flourished. What started as a one-building manufacturing center now has grown to four buildings and ranks among the area's largest employers.
Eau Claire's Top Employers
|Rank||Company||Description||Number of Employees|
|1||Menard, Inc.||Home Centers||4,500+|
|2||Mayo Clinic Health System-Eau Claire||General Medical & Surgical Hospitals||3,500+|
|3||Eau Claire Area School District||Elementary & Secondary Schools||1,300|
|4||University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire||Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools||1,300+|
|5||Sacred Heart Hospital||General Medical & Surgical Hospitals||1,300+|
|6||Midelfort Clinic Ltd Mayo Health||Offices of Physicians||1,000+|
|7||United Healthcare Services Inc||Direct Health & Medical Insurance Carriers||500-999|
|8||Hutchinson Technology Inc||Computer Storage Device Manufacturing||500-999|
|9||Chippewa Valley Technical College||Junior Colleges||500-999|
|10||City of Eau Claire||Executive & Legislative Offices, combined||500-999|
|11||Gerber Products Co||Dry Condensed & Evaporated Dairy Products & Chocolate and Confectionery Manufacturing from Cacao Beans||500-999|
|12||Wal-Mart||Warehouse Clubs & Supercenters||500-999|
|13||County of Eau Claire||Executive & Legislative Offices, combined||500-999|
|14||Xcel Energy/Northern States Power||Other technical consulting services||250-499|
|15||Northern States Power Co||Managing Offices||250-499|
|16||Royal Credit Union||Credit Unions||250-499|
|17||GSI Call Center Inc||Telemarketing Bureaus and Other Contact Centers||250-499|
|18||Grace Lutheran Foundation Inc||Nursing Care Facilities||250-499|
|19||Curt Manufacturing LLC||Other Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing||250-499|
|20||SDH Education East LLC (Sodexo)||Food Service Contractors||250-499|
|21||Ipacesetters LLC||Telemarketing Bureaus and Other Contact Centers||250-499|
|23||The Work Connection of Wisconsin||Professional Employer Organizations||250-499|
|24||Market & Johnson Inc||Commercial and Institutional Building Construction||250-499|
|25||YMCA||Civic & Social Organizations||250-499|